Study in Canada

Canada, one of the largest and most beautiful countries in the world, it is the ideal place to live and work because of its quality of living, education, income levels, health care system and a relatively safe and clean environment. Canada has a highly developed economy and is the largest trading partner of the United States. Its unending coasts, vast forests, mountain ranges, lakes and expanses of prairies, have bestowed upon Canada an abundance of natural resources which is a major factor contributing to its prosperity.

Canadian colleges and universities welcome foreign students and study in Canada is becoming increasingly popular among overseas students. Canada offers you with a first-rate opportunity to study in a safe and friendly environment, which will not only allow you to get a globally recognized qualification at much less education fee but will also permit you to get valuable work experience. Moreover, games and educational scholarships are also available for overseas students while studying in Canada you can job on campus without needing work permission but the work permission allows you to not only job off campus part time during term but also permit you to work full time during your vacations  After finishing your education from a university you can also apply for a Master degree Work.

Some of the Reasons to Choose Canada are:

Canadian Institutes, charge lower tuition fees for international students than their counterparts in competing countries and at the same time, maintain excellent educational quality. However as the fees are more affordable, admissions are more competitive.


International students are expected to start planning for their studies in Canada 1 year in advance. The major intake for Canada primarily is 'Fall' i.e. September. The other intake is in the month of 'Winter' i.e. January, but it depends on the students program and the institution that he/she is applying to. Very few institutes might have the May intake as well.


English Language Requirements

All students must be fluent in English if they are applying to Canadian Institutes. International students need to reach the required level of English language competence. All students should take up the IELTS or TOEFL (ibt) exams. An IELTS band of 6.0/6.5 for Undergraduate & 6.5/7 for Postgraduate courses or a TOEFL score of 80 and above for Undergraduate and 90 and above for Post Graduate courses is desirable.




 Compared to many countries, the cost of studying in Canada is very affordable. As a guide, you will likely need between $15,000 Cdn and $30,000 Cdn annually to cover tuition and living expenses. However, this cost range is an average only and will vary according to the institution and program in which you are enrolled, your location, and living choices.


Tuition fees for international students vary across provinces and programs. The table below shows the weighted average tuition fees for full-time foreign students, by field of study.
Remember, however, that the costs associated with attending university go beyond tuition fees. You must also budget for items such as books, personal living expenses, and housing.


Undergraduate Studies
in Canada

Graduate Studies
in Canada (PG)

Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia
New Brunswick
British Columbia

$8,520 - 12,480
$7,063 - 10,720
$9,168 - 10,518
$6,900 - 16,204
$4,940 - 6,900
$7,779 - 10,890
$6,293 - 11,078
$4,462 - 15,870

$1,896 - 3,549
$4,329 - 15,000
$5,610 - 8,465
$8,268 - 20,000
$5,432 - 29,000
$3,795 - 9,685
$5,298 - $19,200
$2,272 - $17,499


Canada offers a very low cost of living – especially compared to the United States or the United Kingdom. The approximate annual living expenses are about $10,000 for a single student, which includes accommodation as well as other daily expenses. An additional $4,000 will be required for a spouse and an additional $3,000 for each dependent, to cover 12 months of living expenses.



School-Provided Home stays
School-Provided Residence/Dormitory
Off Campus Housing

$ 400 - $800 per month
$3000 - $7500 per year
$250 - $ 750 per month

• Simply, the average cost of living per months including everything should be between $600 to $800


Working on campus

If you have a valid study permit, you may be able to work on the campus of the institution you attend without a work permit. You can work for the institution itself, or for a private business located on the campus.
To do this, you must be a full-time student at a public university, a community college, a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP), a publicly funded trade or technical school or a private institution authorized to confer degrees.

Working off campus

To work off campus, you must have a work permit. Through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, you can work part-time during regular academic sessions (20 hours per week) and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays, and spring break. You can work in any occupation, and you can change employers whenever you like.

To qualify for the program, you must have a valid study permit and be a full-time student at a recognized postsecondary educational institution. Recognized institutions generally include a public, post-secondary college or university, a CEGEP in Quebec and degree-granting programs offered by private institutions.

For a list of participating institutions in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, visit Check with your institution to make sure the program that you choose is eligible.

Co-op and internship programs

If you are in a program with a work experience component, such as a co-op or internship placement, you will need a work permit as well as a study permit.

To get a work permit, you must prove that the work experience is essential to completing your program. Acceptable proof could include a letter from the school you are attending or a copy of the school curriculum.
The work experience cannot be more than 50% of your total program of study.


Humber International Entrance Scholarships

York University International Student Program

UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award

University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships

Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)

United World Colleges (UWC) International Youth Scholarships

Apply VISA

Documents Required for Student Visa

  • Study Permit application form, study questionnaire, and correct fee.
  • Letter of acceptance from the ACCC member institution, showing planned start and end date of program.
  • Receipt for study program fees paid (pre-payment of first term is recommended)
  • IELTS test result in past 12 months with score at or above the entry requirement for the intended program of study, and no lower than overall 5.5.
  • Employment reference from one or both parents, showing name, address and phone number of employer, parent’s position title and current salary; OR if self-employed or a business owner: business license (if any), plus statement of number of employees and current year net income, current address, phone number, email of business.
  • Passport valid for at least 1 year
  • 3 Passport Size Photographs
  • Personal Study Plan: Description of Proposed Program studies as it relates to your academic, technical or vocational background.
  • Medical Report
  • Police Clearing Certificate to show no record of criminal activity

Visa Procedure

All applicants wishing to study in Canada must satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for the stay, that they will not contravene the conditions of admission (for example, that they will not work without prior authorization or waiver) and that they do not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

In reaching a decision, an officer will need to be satisfied that you :

  • have a valid letter of acceptance from an educational institution
  • have adequate funds available to you to pay for your tuition and living expenses while in Canada and to return to your country of residence
  • are in good health
  • are law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity
  • will not be a risk to the security of Canada

After Submission of the complete application form, application, fees, and required documents to the Visa Office is followed by:


An interview with a Canadian Visa Officer may be required. If this is the case, you will be advised in writing of the time and place for the interview.

Medical examination

The Canadian high commission will issue medical instructions. Students and accompanying dependants must pass a medical examination.


1. What is ICCRC membership?.

The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is a non-profit organization appointed by the Government of Canada to regulate the immigration consulting profession and safeguard consumer interests. Immigration consultants provide their services to individuals seeking help to navigate immigration issues in Canada.

2.Is it mandatory for a student to apply through an ICCRC member?

NO. It is not mandatory for a student to apply for a student visa via an ICCRC member as per Bill C-35. Further as per IMM5476E (Use of Representative Form) it is clearly stated that one need not hire an immigration representative (ICCRC Member) and can be represented by any individual to conduct business on his/her behalf with Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Canada Border Services Agency

3. What is the difference between a University and a College?

Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All Canadian Universities four year bachelors degree programs; most offer one to two years master's degree and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Bachelor’s Degrees can be granted by Universities, some colleges and some Institutes in Canada. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

4. Can I study and work part-time to help finance myself in Canada?

Yes, you can in certain circumstances. However, when applying for a student authorization you must be able to prove to the visa officer that you have enough finances to support yourself for the entire length of your study program. International students can work on the University/College campus, where as off campus work is permitted only after 6 months. Full-time students can work in their institutions without the need for an employment authorization. International students can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies and 40 hours per week during vacation. They can earn approximately C$ 7 - C$ 10 per hour. Students can work full time off campus during co-op terms and can earn approximately C$ 10 - C$ 15 per hour, amounting to C$ 400 to C$ 1,000 per month. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1 to 3 years after completing your academic program depending on the length of the program.

5. How much value would a Diploma hold?

Colleges offer a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/ Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program. These programs give the students a practical background that employers demand and help them get jobs easily. It may often happen that students who have completed a vocational program may get better jobs/salaries than those who have studied in a University Degree Program.

6. Do I need Health Insurance?

Yes. Health Insurance is mandatory. You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province, and sometimes from university to university within each province. Most of the Institutes have health insurance included in their tuition fees. You may also take health insurance from India.

7.Is my spouse/dependant allowed to work in Canada?

If your spouse or any dependant wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Your Spouse Permit will be valid for the same period that you are authorized to study in Canada.

8.Can I work after Graduation?

Students may work up to one year if they have completed a one year program and up to 3 years if they have completed 2 years or more programs.

9.How do I obtain an extension of my student authorization?

If you wish to extend your student authorization, you can do so within Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least 2 months before the expiry of your authorization